Dog Brain Tumor Symptoms
Brain tumor are common and often seen in middle age and older dogs however they can also affect the younger one too. If canine has a seizure then it could be the signs that a brain tumor is present.
The most common types that often found in dogs are astrocytomas, oligodendrogliomas and meningiomas. Tumor tend to be wide spread on multiple sites on the brain rather than one spotted position.
Some of the tumor arise directly from the brain tissue while other types spread to the brain by bloodstream since the brain control extensive blood supply.
The severity depend mainly on the brain location where the tumor arise and how fast they grow. Canine seizures can also be caused by other problems such as low blood sugar level or heart problems.
Breed that are prone to brain tumor
- boston terriers
- golden retrievers
- doberman pinschers
- scottish terriers
- old english sheepdogs
Boxers and boston terriers trend to develop pituitary and glial cell tumors which is commonly called neuroglia while breeds with long nose have a predisposition to benign tumors (meningiomas)
Dog brain tumor symptoms
- behavior change
- compulsive walking
- walk in circle
- loss of habits that have been trained before
- facial paralysis often cause by tumor in the lower part of the brain (brainstem)
- lower intelligence
- partial or fully blindness indicated that there is a tumor in optic nerve or hypothalamus
- low energy level
- decreased activities
- seizures often cause by tumor in the cerebral cortex
- wobbliness and tremors indicated that there is a tumor in the cerebellum region of the brain that play an important role in the integration of sensory perception
- loss the sense of smell often cause by tumor in the sensory system used for olfaction (olfactory system)
Dogs can carry brain tumors for a few years before they started to show signs and symptoms because of slow growing rate of tumor inside the brain. By the time the owner take their dog to their veterinarian for examine, the tumor has already grow and reached a considerable size.